The Cathedral was built during the Hawaiʻi's
missionary era and served as the mother church of the Vicariate
Apostolic of the Hawaiian Islands. It was dedicated by Msgr. Maigret
on August 15, 1843 under the title of Our Lady of Peace.
Our Lady of Queen of Peace is a title of the Blessed Virgin
Mary in the Roman Catholic Church. She is represented in art holding
a dove and an olive branch, symbols of peace.
The statues are above the nave of the church but in logical order of
placement in accordance with the Litany of the Saints.
Seventeen stained glass designs grace the interior of the Cathedral
of Our Lady of Peace.
Damien is most noted for his devotion to caring and ministering to
people with what was then widely known as leprosy, forced by
government-sanctioned medical segregation, living on the island of
Molokai in the Kingdom of Hawaii
A depiction of Damien's life illustrated for a child's interest
On May 17, 2005 Pope Benedict XVI appointed the fifth bishop of
Honolulu Msgr. Clarence Silva, who was consecrated and installed on
July 21, 2005.